- This event has passed.
Wessex Carers – Skills to Foster training January 2017 – Day 2
February 6, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 2:45 pm
The Skills to Foster course is the leading pre-approval training course for prospective foster carers in the UK.
The Skills to Foster focuses on preparing participants for fostering, ensuring that they know what it will mean for them.
The standard pre-approval training course is divided into seven sessions covering core skills and knowledge:
- What do foster carers do?
- Identity and life chances
- Working with others
- Understanding children in foster care
- Safer Caring
- My family fosters (workshop for sons and daughters of foster carers to explain what foster care is and what it will mean for them)
It provides essential foundation knowledge for new foster carers by:
- Focusing on practical, day-to-day skills and abilities;
- Preparing participants for a professional career in fostering, using key concepts such as the ‘team around the child’, care plans, placement plans and delegated authority;
- Explaining the core elements of foster care, such as understanding the role of foster carers, contact and dealing with transitions;
- Introducing key topics such as the importance of identity, positive approaches to challenging behaviour, the world of social media and the internet, and the new approach to safer caring;
- Providing specialist material for the sons and daughters of foster carers
The course is being run over two days.